If you are suffering from acute pain while defecation or experiencing painful bleeding from the rectum, you are most likely suffering from Piles. However that is not a reason to worry as Ayurveda holds a natural cure for the disease and can help you overcome the pain through a systematic change in lifestyle aided by natural herbs and remedies. In this article Vansh Clinic helps you to explore all about Piles and how Ayurvedic treatment can help you overcome it with absolute ease.
What are piles?
Piles, medically known as Hemorrhoid are cushion like smooth muscles, connective tissues and arterio- venus channels located in the rectum and anal canal and are a natural part of the human anatomy that help in regulation of bowel movements. However, in few cases, they become swollen and itchy. It is this inflammatory condition of the piles that becomes painful and sometimes need medical attention. Though age is not a bar for Piles, it usually occurs in patients between the age group of 45-60 years.
Types of Piles
If you are suffering from piles, they may be internal or external. The internal Piles which are more common, occur in the inside walls of the anal canal and cannot be visibly seen outside. It is usually located 2-4 cms above the opening of the anus. External Piles can be noticed outside the opening of the anus and are not that common.
Grades of Piles
Piles can be broadly divided into four grades depending upon the severity of the condition. Grade 1 and 2 of Hemorrhoid (internal Piles) usually cure on their own and might occasionally need medical intervention. Grade 3 and 4 (External Piles) however are more severe in condition and consultation with a medical expert is certainly recommended.
What causes Piles?
Piles are most often caused due to excessive strain on the anal canal. Increase in pressure may cause them to swell and enlarge in size. Chronic constipation has been identified as the most common cause of piles. However, there are various other factors that can trigger the condition:-
- Imbalanced Diet that contains low-fibre- can be a primary reason for Hemorrhoid. Lack of fibres causes strain during bowel movements which further leads to a rise in pressure on the blood vessels causing them to swell and rupture.
- Pregnancy- as the enlarging uterus may create excessive pressure on the anus and rectum.
- Hormonal Changes
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- Heavy weight lifting
- Colon Cancer
- Rectal Surgery in the past
Symptoms of Piles
Piles are easy to detect by itself and rarely needs a medical examination. The condition is usually accompanied by mild to severe pain in the rectum especially while defecation and occasional to regular bleeding. In case you attempt to reach out to the affected area to clean or wipe it out, the condition aggravates further causing unwanted soreness and pain.
Here is a list of most common symptoms one may come across:-
- Mild to shooting pain while passing stools
- Bright red colour blood after defecation
- Watery discharge from anus
- Feeling that your bowels are still full even after defecating
- Itchy and sore feeling around the anal opening
- A lump near the anus in case of external Hemorrhoids
Do’s and Don’ts of Piles
Here are some things you should do and avoid if you are suffering from Piles:
- Exercise everyday
- Drink sufficient water and liquids
- Intake fibre-rich diet
- Lose weight if you are obese
- Take hot baths to ease itchiness and pain
- Use soft wipes near rectum
- Don’t ignore or resist the urge for bowel movements
- Try not to strain while defecating
- Do not spend long hours on the toilet seat
- Cut down on caffeine, if possible avoid completely
- Take a break while sitting at work. Get up and move periodically.
- Don’t overuse laxatives
- Do not lift heavy objects
Treatment for Piles
Though modern medicines are helpful in curing Piles, they often suppress the disease and provide a superficial treatment, thus causing the disease to recur. In such situation, Ayurveda comes up as the best solution to cure the disease from its roots and help you get rid of it permanently. Ayurveda treats Piles as a digestive disorder which results due to collection of Ama (toxins) in the anal canal and impairment of the digestive fire. The treatment thus focuses on rebalancing the three energies or doshas ( Vata, Pitta, Kapha) through intake of pure natural herbal medication, gentle massages, alteration in food habits and a change in lifestyle.